Friday, March 4, 2022

2019 Helix Pomatia (aka Tucker Legacy Red)

Happy Friday!  Yes, I've been neglectful of my wine blogging duties, but I am back for hopefully a good weekend.  So, today I received my wine club shipment from Reininger Winery and was a bit surprised when three big boxes of wine were dropped off by my friendly UPS man.  I recalled ordering a case of Helix Pomatia and then the normal shipment, but silly me, it appeared I accidentally ordered a case of Pomatia in January when it was too cold to ship and then called to add a case to my March wine club shipment as well!  Despite my rabid incompetence, I can assure you that extra case will not go to waste (perhaps an office wine club selection?).  So, since I have so much of this wine now, I'm enjoying a bottle of the 2019 Helix Pomatia, which was recently renamed the Tucker Legacy Red wine.  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (56%), Syrah (32%), Merlot (10%) and Petit Verdot (2%) from the Phinny Hill, Stillwater Creek and StoneTree Vineyards in the Columbia Valley AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2019 Helix Pomatia (aka Tucker Legacy Red)

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with nice clarity.  A gentle swirl releases aromas of leather, oak and wild berries with a hint of cedar.  Take a sip and you have a rush of berries, blueberry, cherry and mulberry intermingled with a bit of umami before transitioning to some notes of vanilla and sandalwood midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured, providing a solid base for the long, smooth dry finish with a slight kick of acidity at the end.

Linguine and Italian sausage marinara with a bit of shaved parmesan and fresh basil

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a perfect everyday red wine that punches way above it's weight class.  It's also a terrific value, as this wine was just $18 with the wine club discount (which I highly recommend you join, or at least get on the waiting list!).  This wine would pair with a broad range of weekday dishes, from barbecue and burgers, to pizza and pasta.  Tonight I am taking the everyday approach and enjoying this wine with some linguine and Italian sausage marinara with a bit of shaved parmesan and fresh basil.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment