Sunday, February 20, 2022

2019 La Pruina Primitivo di Manduria

Happy Sunday!  I've had a rather relaxing day compared to last Sunday when I was flying across country.  So I've opened a nice bottle of Italian wine to enjoy with my dinner, the 2019 La Pruina Primitivo di Manduria.  I recently bought this bottle from Wines Till Sold Out, and I thought the description was intriguing.  Primitivo is the most famous and popular wine from the Puglia region of Italy, the "heel" of Italy, and this wine comes from Manduria, where the red soil of Taranto creates wines that have more acidity and earthy character.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2019 La Pruina Primitivo di Manduria

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with nice clarity.  A gentle swirl in the glass releases the classic earthy aromas of leather, tobacco and peppery spice intermingled with ripe black fruit.  The first sip reveals a rush of blackberry, currant and plum that transition easily to some smoky spice notes midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat subdued, but strong enough to balance the classic acidity the region is known for.  The finish is dry but juicy, making for a very food friendly wine.

Chicken and vegetables cooked in Tikka Masala simmer sauce

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a versatile wine that is also a bargain at just $15.  As mentioned, this wine is versatile when it comes to pairing, as you could enjoy it with mussels as they do in Taranto, or perhaps with some classic barbecue or pizza for an easy weeknight dinner.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with some chicken and vegetables that I've cooked in some Tikka Masala simmer sauce I picked up at Costco, over some steamed basmati rice.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment