Saturday, February 19, 2022

2017 Seven Hills McClellan Vineyard Malbec

Happy Saturday!  I've been running around a bit today doing errands and now I am ready for a nice dinner and glass of wine!  Tonight I've opened a bottle of wine I've been waiting for, and finally picked up in my Grand Rapids office last week.  The 2017 Seven Hills McClellan Vineyard Malbec is a pure Malbec from the McClellan Estate Vineyard in the Walla Walla AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this wine is shaping up!

2017 Seven Hills McClellan Vineyard Malbec

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with a bit of pitch at the center.  A gentle swirl of the glass releases aromas of blackberry, leather, kirsch and dusty loam that just brings me back to a summer day in Walla Walla.  Take a sip and you're greeted by a rush of black fruit, blackberry, cherry and mulberry that transition easily to some earthy mineral and classic spice notes midpalate.  The tannins are well structured providing for a velvety smooth, dry finish that lingers for a minute or more.

Prime ribeye, grilled rare with mashed potatoes and asparagus with hollandaise

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it reaches a perfect crossroads between classic Malbet and bold Cabernet, a wine ideal for a big steak dinner!  This wine would pair well with steaks and chops, but also braised short ribs, lamb chops or venison.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with an uber prime ribeye that is reminiscent of wagyu, grilled rare along with some mashed potatoes and asparagus with hollandaise.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment