Sunday, February 6, 2022

2016 Bergevin Lane Vineyards Moonspell Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  It's been a busy day of cooking and work, but at least this evening I have the opportunity to relax a bit with a nice bottle of wine.  Tonight I've opened up a bottle that I brought back from my road trip to Walla Walla last summer, the 2016 Bergevin Lane Moonspell Cabernet Sauvignon.  I had the chance to buy some of their 2009 vintage from a local restaurant when I first moved back to Elkhart (you can see my review of that wine here) so I was thrilled when I happened upon their tasting room on my last trip, bringing back a few bottles.  This wine is a 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from the Walla Walla Valley AVA of Washington, so let's see what this wine has to offer!

2016 Bergevin Lane Vineyards Moonspell Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is an inky black at the center, with bright ruby along the edges, just as you would expect from a nice Cabernet.  A gentle swirl in the glass releases aromas of green grass, earthy limestone and hints of green herb, a breath of the Walla Walla Valley, as I took a whiff and was immediately taken back to my visit last summer.  Take a sip and you're treated with a rush of fruit, tart cherry, black raspberry and currant, that transitions effortlessly to some warm spice notes, along with some earthy minerals midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured providing a great base for the long, smooth dry finish that seems to linger for a minute or more.

Bone-in bison ribeye along with some roasted golden beets and potatoes, along with some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a classic rendition of a Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon.  I really enjoyed the 2009 vintage when I tried it, and this one is no different, a refreshing taste that brings me right back to the Walla Walla Valley.  This wine would pair well with big hearty meals, from steaks and chops, to Yankee pot roast, venison loin to rack of lamb.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a bone-in bison ribeye along with some roasted golden beets and potatoes, along with some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment