Sunday, May 23, 2021

2019 Forgeron Cellars Estate Cabernet Franc

Happy Sunday!  I spend a good portion of the afternoon volunteering to package meals for food insecure youth in the three counties surrounding where I live at Cultivate Culinary Food Rescue.  It was two hours of hard work to pack over a thousand meals, so at least there is that!  So now I'm ready for Sunday dinner and a bottle of wine, and I guess I'll make it a complete weekend of wines from Forgeron Cellars, as tonight I've opened the second wine from the recent wine club shipment, the 2019 Estate Cabernet Franc, which is sourced from the Equinox Ridge Vineyard in the Walla Walla Valley.  This is the first wine I've had from this vineyard, so let's see what it has to offer!

2019 Forgeron Cellars Estate Cabernet Franc

The wine has a deep inky center with deep ruby along the edges, as you might expect from the varietal.  A swirl of the glass releases aromas of blackberry and leather, with floral undertones of rose petals and lavender.  Take a sip and blackberry, plum, black cherry and currant wash over your palate, a scintillating combination of black fruit sweetness, that gives way to notes of charred oak and bright acidity midpalate.  The tannins are well structured to the long, smooth dry finish that will have you reaching for another sip.

Rare grilled bone-in ribeye with bacon roasted Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a really well executed expression of this often overlooked varietal.  This wine would pair well with a broad range of hearty dishes, from lamb chops to steaks, roast beef to hearty vegetable stew.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled bone-in ribeye with some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts.  Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment