Sunday, May 9, 2021

2016 Château L’Escadre Grande Réserve Bordeaux

Happy Sunday!  It's been another frigid, rainy spring day here in Indiana and I just wish it would get to being spring like in weather! So, needless to say I didn't get any of the yard work I had hoped to finish today, but at least there is wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2016 Château L’Escadre Grande Réserve Bordeaux, it's been a while since I've opened a nice Bordeaux and I happened upon this one at Costco yesterday at an unbelievable price.  This wine is a class blend of Merlot (70%), Cabernet Sauvignon (20%) and Malbec (10%), so let's see how it tastes!

2016 Château L’Escadre Grande Réserve Bordeaux

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with nice clarity.  The nose exudes classic old world aromas of leather, blackberry, currant and plum with hints of tarragon and cedar.  The taste is classic Bordeaux, with a rush of ripe black cherry intermingled with hints of anise and spice box, before retreating into some earthy notes of tar and tobacco midpalate.  The tannins are barely noticeable, as you would expect from a wine that grew up in the Gironde, which leaves you with the classic dry Bordeaux finish that lingers but isn't in your face.

Italian sausage with onions and peppers with pasta tossed in garlic and olive oil with cherry tomatoes

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, and I thought of rating it higher, but as I pondered, I might just like this wine because I haven't indulged in a nice Bordeaux in a while.  This wine was also an incredible value at just $8.50 at Costco!  This wine would pair well with beef, lamb or hearty heavily creamed sauce dishes.  Tonight I am mixing continental cultures and enjoying this wine with some Italian sausage with onions and peppers along with some spaghetti tossed in garlic and olive oil with cherry tomatoes and parsley.  I suppose I'm following in the footsteps of my grandfather who was Italian and French with this dinner, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment