Sunday, April 18, 2021

2012 L'Ecole No. 41 Perigee

Happy Sunday!  This weekend was one of those that despite my best intentions, ended up being a working weekend.  But, at least I get to enjoy a nice glass of wine before work starts up again tomorrow!  Tonight I've opened a bottle that's apparently been sitting in my cellar for a while, as I stumbled across it but realized I've never posted about it before.  The 2012 L'Ecole No. 41 Perigee is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (21%), Cabernet Franc (14%), Malbec (5%) and Petit Verdot (5%) from the Seven Hills Vineyard in the Walla Walla AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this wine has matured!

2012 L'Ecole No. 41 Perigee

The wine is an inky color as you might expect from the heavy hand of Cabernet and Merlot, but it displays bright ruby along the edges.  A swirl and a quick whiff reveals a decidedly old world sort of nose, with notes of oak, sage and a bit of white pepper intermingled with soft black fruit notes.  Take a sip and you're treated to a rush of blackberry, blueberry and cherry that wash over your palate, before transitioning to some earthy notes of dusty limestone and a hint of violet midpalate.  The tannins are still vibrant and expertly integrated for a long, velvety dry finish that lingers for a minute or more. 

Rare grilled porterhouse, blistered cherry tomatoes, asparagus with hollandaise

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's been a while since I've opened a bottle of Perigee, and it certainly lived up to my memories.  This wine would be perfect for just sipping on the porch on a spring evening (which I may do very soon), or paired with big steaks, lamb, seared tuna or a hearty risotto.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with my classic Sunday dinner of a big grilled porterhouse, along with some asparagus with hollandaise and a big baked potato with all the trimmings.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment