Saturday, December 12, 2020

2017 Elodia El Manzano Don Arturo Estate Malbec

 Happy Birthday!  I mean yes, thank you!  It's my birthday today, which means that I went out on my annual hunting trip to get Christmas trees, and today I landed a couple of really nice white pines.  Then I came home, made out Christmas cards and made an apple pie and now it's time for some wine and dinner!  It didn't seem like I did much today, but now that I see the list I'm pretty impressed!  So tonight I've opened a bottle of 2017 Elodia El Manzano Don Arturo Estate single vineyard Malbec from the Uco Valley in Mendoza Argentina which I recently bought from Wines Till Sold Out, and you'll see why I've opened this wine when we get to the pairing.  So let's see how this wine is shaping up!

2017 Elodia El Manzano Don Arturo Estate Malbec

The wine is a deep inky indigo at the center with bright ruby along the edges, just as you might expect from a nice Mendoza Malbec.  The nose presents aromas of cherry, blackberry, leather and pumice that shows the character of Argentina.  The taste is a rush of ripe fruit that washes over your palate before transitioning to some wonderful earthy mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are vibrant and youthful, but well structured, providing for a very smooth, dry finish that lingers for a minute or more.

Prime Picanha Steaks

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as I think this is a new favorite Malbec (truth be told, I ordered four bottles of this one and enjoyed three of them before I got around to reviewing it!).  This wine is an ideal steak wine, which is ideal since I've decided to enjoy this wine this evening with a Brazilian steakhouse favorite of rare grilled picanha!  For those unfamiliar, picanha or sirloin cap, it's a delightfully tender steak, comparable to a filet, but with a lovely cap of fat to add incredible flavor.  Tonight I am grilling this with some bacon roasted brussels sprouts and a baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment