Sunday, December 20, 2020

2016 Château Grand Bouchon Médoc

Happy Sunday!  I spent the afternoon finishing the Christmas shopping, but as I was starting think about wrapping all the presents, it was nearing suppertime, so I thought why do today what I can put off until tomorrow?  So instead I've opened a bottle of wine and starting to prepare dinner.  And the wine I've opened is a recent one I purchased from Wines Till Sold Out, as they had a $120 case special, so I selected four different wines and bought a case.  Among them was the 2016 Château Grand Bouchon Médoc, a classic blend of Merlot and Cabernet from the left bank of the Gironde, so let's see how this one is tasting!

2016 Château Grand Bouchon Médoc

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with great clarity.  The nose is a fountain of raspberry, red plum and vanilla that flows through some earthy mineral notes.  The taste is a rush of blackberry, raspberry and black cherry, with a hint of sweetness among the fruit before transitioning to some notes of dusty limestone and cedar midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat chalky, but complementary to the fruit, providing for a lovely, long dry finish.

Herb crusted rack of lamb with red wine reduction, garlic mashed potatoes and bacon roasted asparagus

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a very nice example of a Médoc, which is a personal favorite of mine among Bordeax.  This wine would pair well with the classic red meat dishes, from steaks to prime rib, but it would also be great with a fall root vegetable galette or mushroom risotto.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a herb crusted rack of lamb with garlic mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus and a red wine and olive reduction.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment