Saturday, September 19, 2020

2017 Megan Anne Pinot Noir

 Happy Sunday!  I admit I've been slacking on by blogging duties, but I've been battling a cold which has inhibited my wine reviewing.  But tonight I've opened a bottle of Pinot Noir (those of you paying attention will note that I'm not the biggest pinot fan, but what the heck!), this one the 2017 Megan Anne Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, which is Mark Ryan's label for Oregon Pinot Noir.  I bought several bottles of this vintage from Wines Till Sold Out, when I saw the offer at nearly half price, so let's see what this wine has to offer!

2017 Megan Anne Cellars Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

The wine is a little richer in color than many Pinot Noirs, but still with great clarity and a nice crimson color.  The nose is chock full of ripe red fruit, cherry and marionberry, with earthy aromas of peat and tar, with a ribbon of vanilla strung throughout.  The taste is a rush of cherry and raspberry that bows to some vanilla and caramel intermingled with earthy peat midpalate.  The tannins are a bit sharp, but well structured for the lingering dry finish.

Rare seared bison filet mignon, tater tots and bacon roasted Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, which it pretty high for a varietal that's not my favorite.  This wine would pair well with a variety of lighter dishes, from classic halibut, Dungeness crab or wild mushroom risotto, but I think it might also pair well with game, such as venison.  Tonight I am taking that route, enjoying this wine with a rare seared bison filet mignon with a rather whimsical pairing of tater tots and bacon roasted Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment