Saturday, August 29, 2020

2012 Forgeron Columbia Valley Merlot

Today was a bit of a lazy day, running a few errands, going to the farmer's market (I bought way too many tomatoes!), hanging out with some friends and going for a bike ride before settling in for the evening.  There were some thunderstorms that came through last night, so it cooled off quite a bit today and I'm hoping to have a fire on the patio later on.  But for now it's time to enjoy a glass of wine, and in my last-minute effort to live up to Sean Sullivan's Washington Merlot Challenge, I've opened a bottle of 2012 Forgeron Cellars Columbia Valley Merlot, so let's see how this one has matured!

2012 Forgeron Columbia Valley Merlot

The wine exudes aromas that brings me back to the barrel room, cool air and musty aromas of French and American oak intermingled with jammy fruit, blackberry, cherry and plum.  The taste is complex continuum of smoke, black fruit and dusty minerality that circle your palate.  The tannins are exceptionally smooth and well integrated to bring forth a delightfully dry finish that practically begs to be paired with food.  I think I can accommodate, but first I am going to enjoy the remaining sips in this glass as I cook.

Steak tacos with roasted peppers

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's just a wonderful Merlot that has matured to the point where it would be hard for it not to be a great drinking wine.  This wine would pair well with a broad range of dishes, from steaks and chops to pasta and risotto, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with some steak tacos topped with some of the aforementioned tomatoes, fire roasted peppers, baby lettuce and avocado.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment