Sunday, August 9, 2020

2011 Rivetto Barolo

Happy Sunday!  It's been a somewhat relaxing day for me, I went to church this morning, then came home and did a little work on the class I'm teaching at the local university this fall, started writing an article for a hobby group I'm involved with and took a bike ride (though it might have been a bit hot to do that).  Of course now that I read all that in a sentence, it seems more busy than relaxing, but here we are.  And tonight I've opened a bottle of wine to enjoy with dinner, and although it's not quite to the 10-year mark, I've opened a bottle of 2011 Rivetto Barolo.  So let's see what this fine Nebbiolo has to offer!

2011 Rivetto Barolo

The wine is a beautiful ruby color in the glass with a hint of amber along the edges.  The nose presents aromas of leather, blackberry, anise and hints of earthy tar and peat.  The taste is surprisingly fruit forward in a nearly bubble gum sort of way, with a rush of strawberry, cherry and currant that transitions nicely to some earthy notes of tobacco and white pepper spice midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated, providing a nice base for the long, smooth dry finish with a reprise of red fruit at the end.

Veggie spaghetti with shrimp and veggies in basil Alfredo sauce

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a very nicely drinking wine and would pair well with a variety of dishes.  I could enjoy this wine with anything from a wild mushroom risotto to Tuscan toast, to pizza Margarita.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a veggie spaghetti tossed with shrimp and roasted veggies in a basil Alfredo sauce.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment