Saturday, October 27, 2018

2013 Rutherford Hill Napa Valley Merlot

Well, I have to admit this doesn't happen very often, when I review one vintage of a wine and then subsequently review the previous vintage, but that's what's happening tonight!  Nearly two months ago I reviewed the 2014 Rutherford Hill Napa Valley Merlot (you can see that one here) and tonight I am opening a bottle of the 2013 Rutherford Hill Napa Valley Merlot.  I picked this one up at my local market last weekend since they were having a 20% off wine sale, and apparently they had a few bottles of the previous vintage on the shelf to create this wonderful situation.  So let's see if this one is as good as the 2014!


The wine is a rich, inky purple in the glass with nice garnet along the edges.  The nose presents a rather sophisticated blend of leather, dusty limestone, dried herbs and just a hint of funk that makes this wine reminiscent of a nice Bordeaux.  The taste is a rush of cherry cola and plum that transitions evenly to some mineral notes midpalate before some peppery spice notes rear up near the finish.  Speaking of which, the tannins are very nicely structured, providing for a very smooth, lush and dry finish that lingers for a while.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, but will qualify that I prefer the 2014 vintage.  This wine would be ideal with many hearty fall dished, from roasts and steak, to chili and braised short ribs, but tonight I am heading a different direction and enjoying this wine with some hot Italian sausage with onions and peppers.  The cool fruit and earthy flavors make a nice contrast to the spice of this meal.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment