Thursday, October 4, 2018

2013 Kirkland Signature Brunello di Montalcino

Well, I've been out of it a little while and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!  Yes, I've been away for a few days, but now I'm home and feeling like I need a nice glass of wine.  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of wine from Costco's Kirkland Signature brand.  I'm fascinated by the variety of wine they decide to private label, and a couple weeks ago I bought a couple bottles that intrigued me, this first one being a 2013 Brunello di Montalcino.  Now granted I like a nice Brunello, but typically let them age a good decade before opening them, but since this one was relatively inexpensive, I've dispensed with the cellar aging.  So let's dig in!


The wine is a light ruby color in the glass, with great clarity, just as you'd expect from a nice Sangiovese.  The nose is a classic combination of red fruit, strawberry, raspberry and tart cherry intermingled with some green grass, dried herbs and a bit of charcoal.  The taste is a rush of red berries, which transitions to some tart cherry notes midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat muted, but the finish is still rather expressive and dry, with some spicy notes at the end.


Overall, I would rate this wine a 7.5, as that's about what I would expect from a just released Brunello.  The wine would likely mature with a bit of age, but it was still a good value for under $30.  This wine would pair well with a variety of Italian dishes, from risotto to pasta and seafood.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with some porcini mushroom and truffle ravioli topped with some creamy pumpkin and butternut squash sauce.  The red fruit and bright acidity of the wine are a nice complement to the richness of the ravioli.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment