Sunday, August 13, 2017

2013 Stolen Horse Columbia Valley Syrah

Happy Sunday!  I must admit I'm starting to get a bit excited as I have just over a week until I head out to Walla Walla on vacation, so why not open another bottle of Washington wine before I go?  Obviously these will be hard to come by once I get to Washington state right?  In any case, tonight I've decided to open a bottle of a wine I originally tasted at the Doubleback Winery tasting room nearly two years ago (see that post here), the 2013 Stolen Horse Columbia Valley Syrah, a 100% syrah from the Loess Vineyard in Walla Walla and the Echo Ridge Vineyard in the Columbia Valley.  So let's see what this one has to offer!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with aromas of raspberry, cherry, along with some lovely earthy spice notes.  The taste is a rush of ripe fruit up front as you experience a cascade of raspberry, black currant and cherry that transition gracefully to some lovely notes of anise, peppery spice and a hint of vanilla midpalate.  The tannins are balanced and well integrated, providing for a long, dry and exceptionally smooth finish that beckons you to take another sip.  This is a wine that I enjoyed during my tasting two years ago, and I could easily see myself sipping during a quiet afternoon on the patio.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's an exceptional syrah and certainly priced as such at $48.  This wine would be wonderful with a variety of hearty dishes, from steaks and chops to stews or Italian dishes, but for me, I've always thought Syrah was wonderful to enjoy with salmon, so tonight I am enjoying this wine with a lovely cedar planked wild Alaskan sockeye topped with lemon, rosemary and dill along with a baked potato and some steamed green beans that I bought from a farm stand yesterday.  The earthiness of the rosemary really plays well with the earthy goodness of this wine.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment