Sunday, March 26, 2017

2012 Concha y Toro Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon

Ok, I confess, I've been on a weekend run on wines from Chile, from last night's edition from the Maipo Valley, I've decided to open another Costco bottle tonight, the 2012 Concha y Toro Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon from the Marchigue region of Chile.  So let's see how this one stacks up!


The wine is a somewhat lighter color, with some deep purple transitioning to bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is somewhat of an old world sort of blend of blackberry, cassis, intermingled with dried herbs and spice. The taste is a dichotomy of rich black fruit married against some fairly tart acidity, so that based on the aromas, you expect some dark fruit but are quickly flipped around by the acidity, before relaxing into some dark chocolate notes.  The tannins are tightly wound, leading to a more modest but very dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a very pleasant Cabernet, and a good value, as I think I recall paying something around $15 for this one.  This wine would be great with steaks, roasts or lamb, but tonight I'm enjoying this with a little bucatini with spicy red sauce.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment