Friday, March 17, 2017

2014 Maison Bleue Coureur des Bois

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  No green beer for me thanks, but I can still open a nice bottle of wine to enjoy with my traditional meal.  Tonight I've decided to open a wine club selection that I just received today, the 2014 Maison Bleue Courer des Bois, a classic Columbia Valley blend of Mourvedre (40%), Syrah (40%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (20%), which provides a bit more heft than the standard GSM blend.  So let's see how she tastes!


The wine is a bit darker in color than your typical GSM blend, but still vibrant garnet.  The nose is a wonderful blend of leather, tart cherry and green cedar.  The taste is quite nice, with a more subdued bit of ripe fruit up front, that transitions to some lovely earthy mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated and smooth, providing an excellent foundation for the long, luxurious dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as I think it's drinking nicely now, but could certainly improve with a few years in the cellar.  As for the pairing, it would be wonderful with a variety of hearty meat dishes, from roasts to lamb chops, but today is St. Patrick's Day, so I'm enjoying this wine with a traditional dinner of corned beef and cabbage with some oven roasted red potatoes and  carrots and some traditional soda bread.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment