Friday, June 3, 2016

2010 Reininger Walla Walla Merlot

Happy Friday!  Have I mentioned lately that I'm an idiot?  So yesterday two cases of wine arrive at my office from Reininger Winery in Walla Walla.  Now I knew I ordered one case last week and they were shipping it 2 day air, so I thought maybe they sent half in each box,  But I opened the first case and it was my complete order, so I called the friendly folks at Reininger and explained that I had an extra case of wine so we opened it and there were 3 bottles of 2010 Helix Merlot, 3 bottles of 2011 Reininger Merlot and 6 bottles of 2010 Reininger Merlot, one of which I opened tonight.  So apparently I ordered this wine last July and was supposed to pick up the case when I went to Walla Walla on vacation, but I didn't, and ironically I have no memory of any of this!  So dumb me gets a surprise when something he orders finally arrives!  Senility can be fun on days like this I guess!  Anyway, on to the wine.


The wine is a lovely deep ruby color in the glass.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, cherry leather and hint of violet floral notes.  The taste is classic Merlot, a rush of ripe berries, cherry and warm spice with the lovely Walla Walla hints of dark chocolate that come to play midpalate.  The tannins are firm but very nicely integrated into the long, warm and very dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.

All the great wine that I received yesterday!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's the ideal representation of a great Walla Walla Merlot.  I can't speak to value, as I have no memory of ordering this wine much less what I paid for it, but I'm guessing since I ordered a half case it must have been a deal!  This wine would be perfect for steak, or big hearty Italian dishes and tonight I am enjoying this one with a nice rare grilled sirloin tri-tip steak, baked potato with all the fixins and some grilled Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment