Monday, May 20, 2013

2009 Wattle Creek "The Triple Play" Red Blend

It's officially day 3 of my staycation, that time near the end of May when I rush to use up my remaining vacation days before they are sacrificed on the alter of work-a-holism!  And for this vacation day, I have opened up a nice bottle from the Yorkville Highlands of Mendocino County, California, the 2009 Wattle Creek "The Triple Play" red wine blend. This blend is made in the Rhone style, with a combination of Syrah, Viognier and Petite Sirah, for what should make a very interesting wine.


The wine is a pleasant ruby color in the glass, and the nose exhibits notes of ripe red fruit, spicy pepper and a hint of mint over some very subtle oak.  The taste is somewhat fruit forward, with a bit of blackberry jam on the outset, which transitions to some fresh herbs and mint midpalate.  The tannins are very well structured, leading to a firm, dry finish that would complement a wide variety of grilled meats and savory dishes.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, as it's a pleasure to drink, but I honestly can't remember where I bought this wine, so I have no idea if it was a bargain or not!  Tonight I am pairing this wine with some Tuscan herb grilled lamb chops, a bit of pasta with creamy pesto, and a Caprese salad with 25-year balsamic, yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment