Tuesday, February 12, 2013

2009 BenMarco Cabernet Sauvignon

So tonight I am enjoying a lovely Cabernet Sauvignon from Argentina, the nation where someday I hope to retire (great beef and wine, what more do you need in retirement?).  This wine, the 2009 Benmarco Cabernet Sauvignon hails from the high desert of Mendoza, and was blended with a bit of Merlot (5%) and Cabernet Franc (5%) and aged in a combination of French and American oak for 11 months. 

 
The wine itself has a lovely nose of rich leather, ripe berries, licorice and spice, aromas that remind me of a high-quality Cabernet.  The taste presents some modest fruit up front with flavors of ripe plum and black currant, which quickly transitions to some lively spice and mint midpalate.  The finish is tight, with a good bit of tartness as the well structured tannins support a long, smooth, dry finish.  A nice wine that would be great to sip in front of a fire on a lovely February evening.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8 as it's just a nice solid Cabernet.  I got this wine for Christmas in a wines gift pack that my Aunt Janet from Las Vegas sent me, and I can't complain a bit about this one!  Tonight I am enjoying it with some Thai food, but it would easily be a lovely complement to a rare grilled ribeye.  It's been a while and it's about time I enjoyed a nice bottle of wine for an evening, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment