Wednesday, February 7, 2018

2014 V. Sattui Napa Valley Malbec

Happy Wine Wednesday!  I have to admit, tonight I'm merging Wine Wednesday with Taco Tuesday based on my dinner.  So since the cat's out of the bag, what would be a good wine to enjoy with tacos?  How about a nice Malbec?  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2014 V. Sattui Napa Valley Malbec that I brought back with me from my last trip to Napa, so let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a deep, inky black at the center, with bright ruby along the edges, typical of a Malbec.  The nose is somewhat subdued with notes of prune, cassis, and floral notes of violets.  The taste is a rush of ripe black fruit up front that transitions to some earthy notes of dusty limestone overlaid with smoke.  The chewy tannins make a nice foundation for the long, smooth and very dry finish.


I have to admit, this wine is somewhat more domesticated that the typical Argentine Malbec, but it's quite pleasant.  So, I'd rate this one a solid 8.  It would pair well with steak, chili, tacos or pizza quite well, and tonight I'm enjoying this wine with some wonderful chipotle steak tacos, topped with a sriracha taco sauce, sour cream and avocado.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment