Saturday, February 10, 2018

2014 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  It's been and adventure the past couple days as we were totally walloped with snow, yesterday we had about 14 inches and after hours of shoveling, I think it's time for a break!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of wine I found at my local supermarket today as they were having a 15% off sale on all their wines, so I picked up a few bottles of the 2014 Chateau Ste. Michelle Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  So let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a deep ruby color, just as you'd expect from a nice Columbia Valley Cabernet.  The nose is a pleasant combination of red fruit, green grass and light floral notes.  The taste is a pleasant rush of ripe red fruit up front, cherry, raspberry and currant that transitions nicely to some notes of cherry cola and pipe tobacco midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat soft, which gives rise to a smooth and supple dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, as it's nothing spectacular, but it is a solid and pleasant everyday Cabernet.  It was also a terrific value, as the regular price at my market was $8, but with the sale I bought these bottles for less than $7, making this an ideal everyday red.  The wine would pair nicely with a broad variety of dishes, from pizza to tacos to steak.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled New York strip with grilled leeks, mashed potatoes and gravy and steamed asparagus.  All in, a wonderful Saturday evening dinner, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment