Saturday, February 18, 2017

2013 Charles Krug Generations

Happy National Drink Wine Day!  Of course I usually think that every day is National Drink Wine Day,  but I suppose I'm biased.  In any case, I've decided to celebrate the official day with a wonderful Bordeaux style blend that I picked up on my visit to Napa last year, the 2013 Charles Krug Generations.  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (88%), Malbec (6%), Merlot (4%) and Petit Verdot (2%), so legitimately it could still be labeled as a Cabernet.  I tried a bottle of this when I was in Napa in 2015 (see here: 2012 Charles Krug Generations), so let's see how this vintage tastes!


The wine is a deep, inky black at the center, with bright ruby along the edges, classic for a Napa Cabernet.  The nose is a lovely combination of graphite, leather, black cherry and a hint of blueberry.  The taste is a lovely rush of black fruit, cherry cola and mocha that transition to some mineral notes midpalate.  The finish is wonderful, with firm, youthful tannins providing for a long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's drinking very nicely now, but is sure to develop with a bit of time in the cellar (lucky I bought an extra bottle!).  This wine would be perfect for a hearty meal, from pot roast to Italian pasta dishes, but since it feels like spring today, I've decided to grill out!  I'm enjoying this wine with a nice Thai chili rubbed New York strip with grilled asparagus and a big baked potato with all the trimmings.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment