Sunday, October 25, 2015

2012 Charles Krug Generations

Given that it was impossible to ship wine home to Indiana, I settled for buying a couple of bottles of wine on my tasting visits that I'd be able to consume before getting on a plane to go home.  So the first wine I brought back was a remarkable Cabernet Sauvignon from one of the oldest wineries in the Napa Valley, Charles Krug, founded in 1861, the 2012 Family Reserve Generations, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (83%), Malbec (7%), Merlot (5%) and Petit Verdot (5%).

The beautiful tasting room at Charles Krug.
I brought this bottle back and met a colleague at a restaurant for dinner so we could enjoy this wine with dinner.  The wine was a lovely deep inky purple in color with a nose that exhibited aromas of rich black fruit, cedar and dried herbs.  The taste was classic Napa Valley Cabernet, lots of blackberry, cherry and plum, that transition to some nice mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins were firm offering a nice foundation for the long, smooth, voluptuous finish. 


Overall I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's a wonderful example of a classic Cabernet blend, though it's still a bit young and might improve with a bit of time in the cellar.  I enjoyed this wine with a lovely appetizer of Scottish salmon crudo followed by Bouillabaisse as a main course.  The wine was perfect with the spice of my dinner, but also paired well with the rare filet mignon that my colleague orders.  Overall, a great wine with food from a wonderful winery, cheers!

This is "Big Red" made from redwood back in 1944, no longer used for wine making.


No comments:

Post a Comment