Friday, June 24, 2016

2012 L'Ecole No. 41 Ferguson

Happy Friday!  It's been a long week, so I am sure glad that the weekend is here and the weather is supposed to be lovely!  So to start the weekend off right I am grillin' and uncorkin' and tonight I've uncorked a bottle of 2012 L'Ecole No. 41 Ferguson, a limited production (890 cases) blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (61%), Merlot (27%), Cabernet Franc (6%) and Malbec (6%) from the Ferguson Vineyard in Walla Walla.  I recall barrel tasting the first vintage at the vineyard about three years ago, and I've previously reviewed the 2011 (see here) and 2013 (see here) so let's see how the even year stacks up!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, the sort of color composition that gets your mouth watering.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, leather, tar and a hint of mint and violet.  The taste is a rush of ripe black fruit, blackberry and cherry that transitions effortlessly to some mineral notes of basalt and spicy black pepper and Asian spice midpalate.  The finish is smooth, dry and lingering with well structured tannins lending some vibrancy at the end.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9.5 as this is my favorite of the three vintages I've tried.  It's an ideal dinner wine, as it could go with a variety of wonderful dishes, from salmon to roast beef, but tonight of course I'm enjoying this wine with steak!  In fact, it's a rare grilled bone-in Angus ribeye with a spinach salad, grilled leeks and asparagus and a baked potato.  I'll enjoy this wine with my steak and then move this party to the patio where I can continue enjoying it into the wonderful summer evening.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment