Sunday, May 29, 2016

2013 L'Ecole No. 41 Ferguson

Happy Sunday!  It's been a busy one as I started out at my uncle's house south of Chicago, we went to the cemetery and planted flowers on graves as is our custom on Memorial Day weekend.  But now I'm home and ready for a nice glass of wine!  Today I've decided to open a bottle of 2013 L'Ecole No. 41 Ferguson, not realizing of course that I've tried the 2011 vintage (see that review here) but haven't yet opened a bottle of the 2012!  So I guess I'll just stick with odd years on this one.  In any case, this wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (56%), Merlot (33%), Cabernet Franc (7%) and Malbec (4%) from the Ferguson Vineyard in the Walla Walla Valley.


The wine is a lovely deep, inky purple in the glass.  The nose presents aromas of leather, dusty limestone, espresso and a hint of cherry pipe tobacco.  The taste is a lovely burst of fruit, cherry and blueberry that transition nicely to some notes of mocha and some complex mineral notes midpalate.  With the lovely basalt layer just beneath the soil at Ferguson, the wines from this vineyard almost always have a mineral complexity that makes the wines so enjoyable, particularly with a nice big steak!  The finish marries the mineral notes with luxurious tannins that make for a long, smooth and very dry finish that compels you to reach for another sip.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's still quite young, but drinking very well right now.  I expect this wine will be even better with a few years in the cellar, but today it's an ideal wine for braised short ribs or a nice big grilled steak.  That's where I'm headed tonight, with a rare Angus T-bone, some grilled sweet corn and steamed haricots verts almondine.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment