Wednesday, June 17, 2015

2010 Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Wine Wednesday!  Though I'll admit I started a little early with a bottle of Cabernet I opened last night, but it's a new day!  And for this new day I've opened a bottle of 2010 Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, which I recently scored from a local wine shop on sale!


The wine is a deep ruby along the edges leading to an inky purple at the center, just what you like to see in a quality Cabernet.  The nose is a lovely bouquet of ripe dark fruit, blackberries, plum and cassis that just exude quality.  The taste is much more refined than the typical big Napa Cab, it reminds me more of the great blends of Bordeaux, exemplifying refined flavor and complexity.  The initial ripe fruit subsides and presents lovely flavors of dark chocolate and mocha midpalate while the supple tannins support a smooth, dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.

This is a really nice Cabernet that I would rate a solid 8.5, and certainly worth the bargain price of $28 I paid for it on sale (I really need to head back there tomorrow!).  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic pairing of rare grilled prime filet, garnished with grilled leeks and Brussels sprouts and a loaded baked potato.  Really an ideal wine for steak, as the fruit and subtle mineral flavors just enhance the entire meal.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment