Wednesday, June 24, 2015

2012 Maison Bleue "Bourgeois" Grenache

Another hump day comes to an end, let's celebrate with a glass of nice wine!  Tonight I've recovered from my eye exam and pupil dilation, so now I can actually see what I'm typing once again!  With the return of my eyesight, I've decided to open a bottle of 2012 Maison Bleue "Bourgeois" Grenache from Columbia Valley, a blend of Grenache (90%) and Syrah (10%).  I am a big fan of Maison Bleue, so I can't wait to see what this latest wine club selection will hold!


The wine is a bright ruby color in the glass with awesome clarity, making it look like a real jewel.  The nose is a lovely, vibrant combination of red currant, strawberry and some lovely Asian spice and a bit of pepper, that braces you for a bit of sweet and savory.  The taste is a rush of ripe fruit up front, cherry, blackberry and cassis that transitions smoothly to some warm spice notes midpalate.  The fine tannins provide just enough backbone for what is arguably one of the most elegant, lingering dry finishes I've experienced in quite some time.  I just typed that entire sentence and the finish is still going!

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 9, with plenty of room to grow with some time in the cellar.  I really like Grenache, and this one, in my opinion, rivals some of the best of the Rhone Valley.  Tonight I am enjoying this one profusely, along with a standard mid-week meal of rare grilled prime sirloin, some grilled leeks, steamed asparagus and roasted fingerling potatoes.  Such an elegant wine, I'm just sorry I don't have something better to eat with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment