Happy Saturday! I've had a busy day and now it's time for a rather rushed dinner before heading out to see a youth play this evening. Tonight, I've decided to open a bottle that's been in the cellar for about three years, and since I just received chapters 2 and 3, I thought it would be good to finally open a bottle of Seven Hills Winery Defiant Chapter 1. This wine is a new creation from Seven Hills, based on fruit from their 4.5 acre parcel in the Rocks District of Milton-Freewater. This wine is a blend of Syrah (82%), Grenache (11%) and Carignan (7%) from the 2021 and 2022 Vintages. Let's see how this interesting wine is tasting!
The wine is a deep ruby in the glass, with nice clarity, a bit darker given the heavy hand of the Syrah in the blend. The nose presents exotica aromas of blackberry, anise and black olive amid undertones of and hints of violets. The first sip is a surprising explosion of ripe fruit, blueberry, blackberry and plum that gently subside as the earthy minerality of the Rocks district starts to shine through. The tannins are soft and supple, classic for Rhone varietals as they gently guide you to the long, smooth finish that will have you reaching for more.
Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a much more refined version of so many wines coming out of the Rocks district. This wine would be perfect for a wide range of fall dishes, from hearty stews and casseroles, to roast beef or chili. Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a Mediterranean classic, of Greek pork tenderloin stuffed with feta, roasted peppers and artichoke hearts along with balsamic roasted tomatoes and burrata tossed with linguine. Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment