Sunday, February 4, 2024

2019 Famiglia Castellani Chianti

Well it's Sunday and I am ready to turn my attention to cooking and sipping a nice glass of wine.  As I've had in mind what I am making for dinner, since it has an Italian flair, I thought it appropriate to open a nice bottle of Chianti.  Tonight, I've selected a bottle of 2019 Famiglia Castellani Chianti that I recently picked up from Wines Till Sold Out and their case sale, so you know it was a good value.  This wine is made to the more historical blending standards for Chianti, including the addition of some white grapes, and is a blend of Sangiovese (85%), Canaiolo (10%) and Ciliegiolo (5%).  So, let's see how this classic from Tuscany is tasting!

2019 Famiglia Castellani Chianti

The wine is a lighter ruby color in the glass with great clarity, as you might expect from a Sangiovese heavy blend.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of strawberry, light floral notes of violet, tar and a bit of sweet cherry.  The first sip is a rush of tart cherry that eases a bit as it transitions to some notes of dried herbs and earthy peat midpalate.  The fine grain tannins are still a bit tightly wound, providing for a rather brief dry finish.

Italian herb crusted chicken breast with some fusilli primavera

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a pleasant example of a nice, easy drinking Chianti, which was also a solid value at just $12.50!  This wine would pair well with a wide range of Italian dishes, from hearty pasta and risotto to baked Branzino.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with some Italian herb crusted chicken breast along with some fusilli primavera.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment