Saturday, July 29, 2023

2019 Napa Underground Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  I had the chance to go to the farmers market today to pick up some interesting produce items to enjoy with my dinner and I also happened to meet up with the "Basil Brothers" who are two young people (I can never judge age, but my guess is they are between 10 and 12) and they produce some marvelous smoked herb salt which I will include in my meal prep this evening (also bought a bottle of chive blossom vinegar that I'm anxious to try!).  In any case, tonight I've opened a bottle of wine from I recently purchased from Wines Till Sold Out.  The 2019 Napa Underground Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (87%), Merlot (7%), Cabernet Franc (4%), Petit Verdot (3%) and Malbec (1%).  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2019 Napa Underground Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a beautiful bright ruby color in the glass, a bit lighter than your typical big Napa Cabernet.  A gentle swirl reveals aromas of blackberry, currant and cassis, intermingled with hints of espresso and cocoa powder.  Take a sip and you're awash in ripe black fruit with herb influences throughout that ease into some notes of vanilla and peppery spice.  The tannins are somewhat subdued providing for a wonderfully smooth dry finish that lingers till your next sip.

Rare grilled New York Strip with mashed potatoes, grilled orange cauliflower and hatch chiles

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a solid Napa Cabernet and a good value at just $23.  This wine would pair well with a variety of dishes, from weeknight pizza or tacos, to steaks, braised short ribs or barbecue.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled New York Strip along with some mashed potatoes and grilled orange cauliflower and hatch chiles (they are finally here!).  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment