Saturday, December 10, 2022

2020 Pepper Bridge Winery Walla Walla Merlot

Happy Saturday!  This was a busy day for me as I had to find a new Christmas tree farm for my trees this year as my previous farm had run out of any trees over 6'/  So after driving to Fort Wayne, I bagged to wonderful spruce trees for my annual hunting trip for trees.  And now it's time for a little relaxation and dinner before the daylong decorating party tomorrow.  Tonight I've opened a bottle from the Pepper Bridge wine club shipment that literally arrived today, shortly after I got back from the tree farm!  The 2020 Pepper Bridge Walla Walla Merlot is a blend of Merlot (92%) and Malbec (8%) from the Seven Hills, Pepper Bridge and Waliser Vineyards in the Walla Walla AVA of Washington.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2020 Pepper Bridge Winery Walla Walla Merlot

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, classic for a nice Merlot.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of blackberry, raspberry and herb notes of thyme and cardamom with just a hint of cinnamon underneath.  Take a sip and you're treated to a rush of black fruit with prominent flavors of vanilla bean, cherry and a hint of mint that transition to some dark chocolate midpalate.  The soft tannins are a lovely set up for the wonderfully smooth, lingering dry finish.

Rare grilled prime ribcap, grilled leeks, bacon roasted Brussels sprouts and a big baked potato

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's drinking nicely now, but could benefit from a few years in the cellar.  This wine would pair well with classic steaks, hearty pasta or a wonderful winter venison stew.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime ribcap, grilled leeks, bacon roasted Brussels sprouts and a big baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment