Wednesday, December 14, 2022

2019 Mark Ryan Numbskull

Happy Wine Wednesday!  This is the second day of my long Christmas vacation as I had 11 vacation days left that I needed to use by year end, so I'm finally catching up on work around the house and blog posts among other things.  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of wine I brought back from my Walla Walla trip last year.  The 2019 Mark Ryan Numbskull is a classic GSM blend of Syrah (53%), Mourvèdre (25%) and Grenache (22%) from the Columbia Valley of Washington.  So, let's see if I picked the right wine for my Wednesday dinner!

2019 Mark Ryan Numbskull

The wine is a bright garnet in the glass, exactly as you might expect from such a blend.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of black cherry, anise, baking spice and a bit of dusty loam.  The first sip is a rush of sweet black cherry that transitions nicely to some earthy mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are well structured providing for a wonderfully smooth dry finish with just a kick of spice at the end.

Grilled veal rib chop with roasted root vegetables and steamed broccoli

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a very pleasant example of what Washington wine makers are doing with Rhone varietals.  This wine would pair well with a variety of dishes, from lamb to butter chicken, hearty pasta to prime steaks.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a grilled veal rib chop along with roasted root vegetables and steamed broccoli.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment