Saturday, December 4, 2021

2017 Kevin O'Leary Wines Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

I'll admit I used to watch Shark Tank regularly, and I could never figure out whether I like Kevin O'Leary (aka Mr. Wonderful) or not.  Over the years I've seen him in the CNBC studio on the floor of the NYSE, and I recalled that he always had a thing for fine wines and even started making some on his own.  So, when I saw the 2017 Kevin O'Leary Wines Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon on Wines Till Sold Out, I couldn't resist buying a few bottles.  So, let's see if this wine is as wonderful as Mr. O'Leary thinks he is!

2017 Kevin O'Leary Wines Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep inky black at the center with bright ruby, just as you might expect from a Napa Valley Cabernet.  A gentle swirl in the glass reveals aromas of blackberry, cherry and baking spice with undertones of cedar and cocoa.  The first sip presents a rush of blackberry and plum that transitions nicely to some earthy notes of earthy peat and red meat midpalate.  The tannins as a bit subdued but still provide a nice base for the long. smooth dry finish that lingers for a minute or two.

Bone-in bison ribeye with some oven roasted root vegetables and some grilled baby cauliflower

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as I think it stands up well for a Napa Valley Cabernet from a somewhat lackluster vintage.  It may not have been such a value at the original price of $50, but for $20 from Wines Till Sold Out, this wine was a very good value.  This wine would pair well with steaks and chops, braised short ribs or hearty wild mushroom risotto.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a bone-in bison ribeye with some oven roasted root vegetables and some grilled baby cauliflower.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment