Sunday, September 12, 2021

2015 Prodigo Lazio Syrah

Happy Sunday!  Today I got some work done in the yard, despite the heat and humidity, I succeeded in permanently installing the windmill from my uncle's house, I dug up a number of unwanted trees and shrubs and transplanted a small ginkgo sapling.  And now it's time for dinner and a nice glass of wine.  Based on my dinner choice, I opened a bottle of 2015 Prodigo Lazio Syrah, a 100% Syrah from Italy that I purchased from Wines Till Sold Out a few months back.  So let's see how this Italian Syrah is tasting!

2015 Prodigo Lazio Syrah

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, just as you might expect from a nice Syrah.  A quick swirl releases ample black fruit aromas, blackberry, blueberry and currant amid undertones of leather, cedar and peppery spice.  A sip reveals wonderfully rich black fruit flavors with just a hint of sweetness before transitioning to some tobacco and earthy mineral notes midpalate.   The tannins are subtle, but still provide a nice structure to the smooth, dry finish that lingers.

Barbecued spare ribs, mustard baked beans and sriracha slaw

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's not a spectacular wine, but a nice everyday sipper, and a terrific value for just $10!  I would normally say Zinfandel is the best varietal with barbecue, but recently I've come to the realization that Syrah is also a great wine for barbecue, which is what I'm pairing this wine with tonight, barbecued pork spare ribs along with some mustard baked beans and sriracha slaw, an ideal patio dinner as we near the end of summer.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment