Sunday, July 19, 2020

2017 Reininger Sangiovese Grosso

Happy Sunday!  It's been thunderstoming and raining off and on all day today, which is good since I've spend much of it cooking (more on that in a bit).  In light of my dinner choices and since I just received a new shipment of this wine from Reininger Winery, my decision on what to drink tonight was fairly obvious.  I've decided to open a bottle of the 2017 Reininger Sangiovese Grosso, a 100% Sangiovese Grosso from the Seven Hills Vineyard in the Walla Walla Valley AVA of Washington.  Unlike a traditional Sangiovese, this wine is made from a clone of the varietal from Montalcino that is used to make Brunello.  As a big Brunello fan, I was tempted to let this one age for 10 years, and I have a few bottles for that, but I couldn't help opening up one tonight, so let's see how it tastes!

2017 Reininger Sangiovese Grosso

The wine is a bright ruby color in the glass with just a tinge of amber along the edges, just as you might expect from it's Italian cousins.  The nose presents aromas of ripe cherry, strawberry overlaid with hints of anise and tobacco.  The taste is a rush of ripe red fruit, cherry, currant and mulberry that transitions easily to some notes of dark chocolate and spice box midpalate.  The tannins are soft which combined with a kick of acidty, provides for a vibrant and voluptuous dry finish.

Herb crusted lamb chops, potato puree and ratatouille!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's one of the best Sangiovese wines I've tasted from Washington.  This wine would pair well with a broad range of dishes, from classic Italian pasta with marinara, to Bisteca Fiorentina.  Tonight I've taken a completely different route, as my local supermarket had lamb rack on sale, so I decided to look up how to make the classic Hell's Kitchen herb crusted rack of lamb recipe (hat tip to the helpful video from Chef Christina Wilson here) along with potato puree, ratatouille with bravas puree and of course the lamb sauce, of a red wine and olive reduction.  And unlike my steaks, I prefer my lamb well done, so cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment