Sunday, April 19, 2020

2017 L'Ecole No. 41 Estate Ferguson

Happy Sunday!  It was a surprisingly productive day thanks to the weather forecasters doing their usual job of being wrong.  It was supposed to rain today, but instead it's been sunny and in the mid-50s all day, so I had a chance to clear up some branches and do my first lawn mowing of the year.  It's been six months since I last started the mower, so needless to say it took a bit of coaxing to get her started but once she got moving she ran like a champ!  I also did a little work and laundry, so now I feel like I deserve a nice glass of wine.  Tonight's wine is the latest wine club shipment from L'Ecole No. 41, the 2017 Estate Ferguson.  I've been a fan of this wine since I had the good fortune to visit the vineyard nearly seven years ago (see Tour of the Seven Hills and Ferguson Vineyards), and it's been a favorite wine ever since.  The 2017 vintage is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (28%), Cabernet Franc (7%) and Malbec (5%) from the aforementioned vineyard in the Walla Walla Valley.  So let's see how the new vintage stacks up!

2017 L'Ecole No. 41 Estate Ferguson

The wine is a deep, inky black at the center with bright garnet along the edges, just as you'd expect from such a Cabernet heavy blend.  The nose is classic Ferguson, with leather, green grass, black cherry and a hint of mint over perfect mineral undertones.  The taste is delightfully fruit forward with a rush of tart cherry, black currant and plum that transitions to subtle notes of sage, vanilla bean and basalt midpalate.  The tannins are a bit tight, which can be expected in such a young wine, but they provide nice support for the long and exceedingly dry finish.

Smoked ham, cornbread, baked potato and bacon roasted asparagus

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a continued solid effort from L'Ecole and this vineyard.  This wine would pair nicely with a big grilled ribeye, hearty pasta or barbecue, but tonight I'm going a different route as usual.  I went to the market yesterday to pick up some produce and I happened to notice they had leftover Smithfield smoked hams on sale for just 89 cents a pound, so how could I resist making an Easter ham a week late?  So tonight this great wine is being enjoyed with a rich, smoky ham, along with some corn bread, a baked potato and some cherry wood smoked bacon roasted asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment