Saturday, April 28, 2018

2015 Seven Hills Summit View Vineyard Clone 191 Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  It's been an eventful couple of days, but I won't bore you with the details.  The important thing is the weekend is in full swing and I need a glass of wine!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of the second vintage of a wine that I've been liking more and more, you might say it's grown on me, the 2015 Seven Hills Summit View Vineyard Clone 191 Cabernet Sauvignon.  You see, when the 2014 vintage of this wine was first released (you can see my review of that wine here), Seven Hills also released a limited production Cabernet from the Pepper Bridge Vineyard, which I really took a shine to.  But I have to admit, a couple years on and the Summit View is quickly becoming one of my favorite Cabernets, so let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a deep inky consistency at the center with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is a wonderful combination of earthy aromas, leather, graphite, over some subtle notes of ripe black fruit.  The taste is a rush of blackberry and kirsch that envelop the palate before smoothly transitioning to some wonderful warm black pepper spice notes midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured and incredibly well integrated, providing the ideal foundation for the long, smooth and velvety dry finish, that leaves you with just a hint of warm spice on the end.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, I am having trouble deciding whether I like the first vintage or this one better, so I guess that makes it a tie.  Again, like the 2014 vintage, I plan to lay most of this down for a few years, as it will surely get even better with a few years in the cellar.  As for pairings, like it's older siblings, this wine is a perfect big steak wine, as the spice and fruit are ideal in complementing a rich prime steak.  And tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a rare prime ribcap, big baked potato and some fresh grilled asparagus.  A perfect weekend dinner, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment