Sunday, April 29, 2018

2015 Pepper Bridge Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I have to admit that I haven't been relaxing as much as I should today, as I've had a lot of work to catch up on (the price you pay for being your own boss I guess!) but now it's time to relax with a nice glass of wine and dinner.  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of 2015 Pepper Bridge Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (82%), Malbec (8%), Cabernet Franc (8%) and Petit Verdot (2%) from the Seven Hills, Octave, Pepper Bridge and Yellow Jacket Vineyards in the Walla Walla Valley AVA.  I have to admit that I usually wait a few years before opening a bottle of Pepper Bridge Cabernet, but given how warm the 2015 vintage was, I am taking a risk that this wine might be somewhat more approachable in its youth, so let's see if I'm right!


The wine is a deep, inky purple at the center, with bright garnet along the edges, just as you'd expect from a nice Cabernet.  The nose presents warm aromas of black cherry and blackberry, with a bit of earthy iron and smoke underlying some light purple floral notes.  The taste is wonderfully fruit forward, with a rush of ripe black fruit that gives way to some wonderful warm cinnamon and mocha notes midpalate.  The tannins are wonderfully structured, and well integrated providing for a long, smooth and very dry finish that lingers.


Certainly this wine, like previous vintages shows some nice aging potential, but fortunately for tonight's dinner, the warmer vintage is very approachable in its youth.  Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5 with an opportunity to improve into the early 2020s.  This wine practically begs to be paired with a hearty beef dish, whether steak, roasts, prime rib or hearty stew, this wine would do well.  But tonight, I happen to have a prime New York strip I picked up at Costco yesterday, which I'm enjoying with some grilled Brussels sprouts and sauteed onions and peppers.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment