Sunday, November 5, 2017

2006 Caparzo Brunello di Montalcino

Happy Sunday!  I have to admit, I've been a total slacker when it comes to Cellar Saturday, I totally missed in last month, and I totally forgot about it yesterday too!  So I'll make up for it today, as I have a delayed Cellar Saturday blamed entirely on Daylight Savings Time!  So instead of yesterday, tonight I've decided to raid the cellar for a bottle that's been at least a decade in the making, and tonight it's the 2006 Caparzo Brunello di Montalcino!  I am a big fan of Brunello, and like a good Barolo, I remain convinced they need at least a decade to show their true potential, so tonight this one has a chance to shine.  Keep in mind, I've decanted this wine and let if breathe for about an hour, so let's see how it tastes!


The wine is a lovely bright garnet color in the glass, with great clarity, just as you'd expect from a nice Sangiovese.  The nose is classic Brunello, with strong notes of smoke, leather, dried Italian herbs and some floral notes of lavender and rose.  The tastes is a rush of ripe fruit, strawberry, raspberry and cherry that transitions nicely to some notes of dried herbs, cardamom and peat midpalate.  The finish is quite nice, as the tannins are robust and support the long, smooth and very dry finish that treats to a reprise of red fruit at the end.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's not the best Brunello I've had, but it's quite good, particularly 11 years on in its life.  This wine would pair well with bistecca alla fiorentina or a variety of Italian dishes, but tonight I've gone rogue and I'm enjoying this wine with some pan seared lake perch topped with pineapple jalapeno salsa, roasted baby potatoes and grilled baby bok choy.  The bright red fruit of this wine really compliment the lighter flavor of the fish.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment