Sunday, October 30, 2016

2013 Boyd Big Ranch Vineyard Syrah

Happy Sunday!  I have to admit this was a rather uneventful day.  After church I came home and started the laundry then went out to buy a leaf vacuum and then grocery shopping.  It was a crazy day as it seemed everyone was out of at least one thing I needed (I went to 4 stores to find leeks!), but finally made it home in time to finish laundry and start dinner.  And with dinner I've decided to open a bottle that my boss gave me, the 2013 Boyd Big Ranch Vineyard Syrah from the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley.


The wine has a classic look of Syrah, dark and brooding in the glass.  The nose presents aromas of earth, ripe black fruit and peppery spice.  The taste is just lovely, with a gradual building of fruit, blackberry, plum and cherry that reaches a crescendo as the fruit transitions to some lovely mineral and spice notes midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat youthful, but firm, lending a solid foundation for the long, smooth and very dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5 as it's a great example of the varietal with wonderful complexity.  It's also a beautiful wine for fall as the flavors just scream autumn harvest.  And it's a good thing as I'm enjoying this wine with a fall dinner of pan seared duck breast, along with roasted fingerling potatoes, golden beets and leeks.  Autumn on a plate and in the glass, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment