Wednesday, December 27, 2017

2014 Hanna Bismark Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Wine Wednesday!  Last night I had some of my neighbors over for a glass of wine or two and one of my neighbors brought me a bottle of 2014 Hanna Bismark Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon from the Moon Mountain District of Sonoma County.  We didn't have a chance to open it last night, so I thought it would be good to enjoy tonight, so let's see how this one tastes.


The wine is a lovely ruby color in the glass, with classic dark center, just as you'd expect from a quality Cabernet.  The nose is an interesting combination of leather overlaid with subtle floral notes.  The taste is a rush of concentrated dark fruit, black cherry, plum and currant that transition effortlessly to some delicious notes of peppery spice intermingled with mocha and dark chocolate midpalate.  The tannins are velvety smooth and delightfully integrated, creating a wonderfully long and smooth dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's about as solid as a California Cabernet can be.  I'd easily take this wine over more expensive and less interesting wines from Napa.  This wine is practically begging to be paired with a thick steak, but it would also pair well with a variety of Italian dishes, or as I'm enjoying it tonight, paired with mid-week pizza!  You have to have something to drink with your pizza, it may as well be a nicely crafted Cabernet.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment