Wednesday, December 13, 2017

2010 Tre Nova Nebbaro

Happy Wine Wednesday!  Tonight I've opened a bottle that I found in the cellar, and I have to admit raised more questions than answers!  By all accounts, this wine looks Italian, has a Super Tuscan sort of label, and it's a blend of Italian varietals, but it was from the Columbia Valley of Washington.  I looked further at the label and found it was produced by G. Cuneo, and I remember visiting their tasting room when I was in Walla Walla in 2015, but I don't recall buying this bottle.  In any case, here it is, the 2010 Tre Nova Nebbaro, a blend of Nebbiolo (51%) and Barbera (49%) from the Columbia Valley AVA.  Nebbiolo is the king of Piedmont varietals, from which we get classic Barolo, so let's see what this wine has to offer!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, somewhat darker than your typical Sangiovese, but just what you'd expect from a Nebbiolo or Barbera.  The nose is a cascade of leather, smoke, dried Italian spices over rich black fruit.  The taste is wonderfully fruit forward, with rich plum, black cherry and cassis amid undertones of dried spice with a hint of mint and licorice.  The tannins are well structured, providing nice backbone for a long, smooth dry finish with just a bit of tartness on the end.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a lovely example of some old world varietals meets new world creativity.  This wine would pair well with Italian dishes like a wild mushroom risotto, but it would also be great with a variety of steaks and roasts, ideal for winter.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a little offbeat dinner of oven roasted chicken with wild rice and steamed broccoli.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment