Sunday, July 2, 2017

2015 Kirkland Signature Malbec

Happy Sunday!  I am about to start cooking my Sunday dinner and thought I'd open a bottle of wine I picked up at Costco yesterday, the 2015 Kirkland Signature Malbec from Mendoza Argentina.  Now I know that Malbecs are good value and Argentina is well know for the varietal, particularly Mendoza, so let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a beautiful ruby color in the glass, not as dark as a Cabernet, classic for a Malbec.  The nose is chock full of ripe fruit, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry and plum over some wonderful spice notes of white pepper.  The taste is quite nice and easy going, with some lovely black fruit notes up front that transition easily to some notes of toasted oak, white pepper and smoke midpalate.  The finish is smooth, with youthful tannins and some bright acidity on the smooth, dry finish.

Overall, this wine is a classic Mendoza Malbec, easy drinking and ideal with a variety of foods, so I give this one a solid 8, particularly given what a terrific value this was at just $6!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime ribcap (to make the gauchos proud), along with grilled elephant garlic scapes, orange cauliflower and broccoli rabe.  This wine is ideal for a nice rich steak, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment