Friday, July 28, 2017

2011 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Syrah

TGIF!  Man I am ready for the weekend and a nice glass of wine, lucky for me I have plenty of nice wine available for me to try and tonight is no exception, as I've decided to open a bottle of 2011 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Valley Syrah!  So let's get right to it!


The wine is a rich, inky purple color in the glass, almost more reminiscent of a Cabernet than a Syrah.  The nose is perfumed with leather, blackberry and a hint of cinnamon.  The taste is a rush of rich, ripe black fruit, blackberry, cherry and currant that transitions into some dusty limestone, mocha and green acidity midpalate.  The finish is quite nice, with rounded tannins supporting the long, smooth and very dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a fine example of the varietal and a food friendly wine.  I could see pairing this wine with a variety of dishes from barbecue to steak, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with some alder planked wild Alaskan sockeye with lemon pepper spice along with some linguine tossed with sauteed garlic scapes and broccoli rabe topped with shaved Parmesan.  The nice acidity in this wine is a perfect complement to the rich fattiness of the salmon.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment