Tuesday, January 31, 2017

2009 Clos des Andes Malbec Riserva

Happy Tuesday!  I know it's supposed to be taco Tuesday, and I came close as I'm making fajitas for dinner, and what could be better with steak fajitas but a nice wine from Argentina?  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of our office wine club February selection, the 2009 Clos des Andes Malbec Riserva from Mendoza, Argentina, the heart of Malbec country that I bought from Wines Till Sold Out.  So let's see how this one stacks up!


The wine is a deep, inky purple color with bright garnet along the edges.  The nose is a lovely combination of leather, blackberry, mint and cassis.  The taste is a subdued bit of ripe black fruit up front, black plum and ripe berries that transition nicely to some notes of mint and dried herbs midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat tight, but still provide for a long, smooth and very dry finish that is classic Malbec.  

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a nice example of the varietal and a classic Mendoza Malbec and it was a good value at just $15.  This would of course pair well with any classic steak dish and tonight I'm enjoying it with some lovely steak fajitas with onions and peppers and a bit of corn, topped with lettuce, tomato and sour cream.  What a wonderful side trip from taco Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment