Sunday, December 4, 2016

2012 Forgeron Anvil Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I was planning on doing a bunch of work in the yard, and I got a few things done, but then it started snowing, so I moved indoors and shifted to decorating my stocking for my office contest (our Christmas lunch is a week from Thursday).  So tonight, in spite of the snow, I am grilling a steak, so what else could I open but a nice Cab, and tonight's is the 2012 Forgeron Anvil Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon, a 100% Cabernet from the Pepper Bridge Vineyard (60%) and Minnick Hills Vineyard (40%).  I can't wait to taste this, so here goes nothing!


The wine is an inky black at the center with garnet hues along the edges, such that when I poured this one it looked like an event!  The nose is a symphony of ripe black and red fruit overlaid with some mineral notes that play against some undertones of earthy peat.  The taste is everything that a great Cabernet should be, starting with some subtle fruit at the outset, blackberry, currant and cassis, that transitions almost imperceptibly to some wonderfully complex graphite and mineral notes midpalate.  The finish is like a dream that you just don't want to wake from, the mineral and fruit notes meet with some wonderfully structured tannins that provide the backbone for a finish that just seems to reach a crescendo, just as you're about to reach for another sip.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9.5, as I've tasted a lot of wine from Forgeron, and I honestly think this is their best effort by a mile.  This is not an inexpensive wine at $65 (of course it's less with the wine club discount), but this one easily stacks up with many Cabs that are selling way beyond $100 a bottle!  And as I mentioned, it's steak night, so I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled Angus porterhouse with some grilled asparagus and yellow peppers and of course a wonderful baked potato.  Sante!

No comments:

Post a Comment