Friday, December 23, 2016

2010 Casalforno Chianti Classico Riserva

Happy Friday!  I've been enjoying my staycation and went and did a little shopping today, but when I came home it started raining, so I altered my dinner plans from something grilled to something pasta and what's better with pasta than a little Italian red?  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of 2010 Casalforno Chianti Classico Riserva, the office wine club selection that I bought from Wines Till Sold Out, a 100% Sangiovese from Tuscany, so let's see what she has to offer!


The wine is a deep ruby in the glass, and I've let it breathe for about an hour or so.  The nose presents aromas of tart cherry, cedar and a bit of earthy musk.  The taste is quite nice with a blast of ripe black fruit up front that transitions to some dusty limestone and a bit of "twang" midpalate.  The finish is dry and very smooth, not as abrupt as some dry red wines.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, as it is a very pleasant Chianti and a terrific value at just $13! This wine would pair well with a variety of roasts and game, but tonight I am going Southern Italian and enjoying this wine with a classic spaghetti and meatballs!  The earth and fruit notes are a perfect foil to the spicy Italian sausage in the meatballs while the dry finish is perfect against the red sauce and parmesan, Tutti a tavola a mangare!

No comments:

Post a Comment