Tuesday, December 27, 2016

2012 Charles Krug Napa Valley Merlot

Happy day after Boxing Day!  Yes, I am still on staycation and I'm still definitely in the Holiday mood.  Tonight I've taken it easy and decided to have a bottle of wine from a winery I visited on my recent Napa Valley junket, the 2012 Charles Krug Napa Valley Merlot!


The wine is a deep ruby color at the edges leading to an inky black at the center.  The nose is a pleasant combination of leather, smoke and jammy red fruit, cherries, blackberries and plums.  The taste is a rush of ripe fruit that bombards your senses, at first sweet and then a bit tart, you have ample cherry and ripe berry flavors dancing in your mouth.  As the fruit subsides, you get a nice bit of earthy goodness, oak and dusty limestone, before you reach the climax of rather young yet mellow tannins that provide the foundation for the long, smooth and voluptuous finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a remarkably pleasant drinking Merlot that was also a terrific value at right around $20 at my local wine store.  This wine would be wonderful with a nice steak or roast, but tonight I'm sipping this after my wonderful dinner of leftovers from Christmas!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment