Saturday, June 18, 2016

2011 Mark Ryan Winery "The Dissident"

Happy Saturday!  I've been working in the yard all afternoon so now it's time to relax with a glass of wine.  Tonight I've decided to open up a bottle of wine I brought back from my 2013 trip to Walla Walla, the 2011 Mark Ryan Winery "The Dissident" a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (29%), Syrah (28%), Merlot (20%), Cabernet Franc (10%), Mourvedre (7%) and Petit Verdot (6%).  I've tasted several of vintages every time I go to the tasting room in Walla Walla, and I've loved this wine, so let's see how this one stacks up!


The wine is a deep inky black at the center with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose presents inviting aromas of black plum, cocoa powder, tobacco and licorice.  The taste is lovely, with flavors of blackberry and cherry up front that transitions to some notes of vanilla bean and mineral notes midpalate.  The finish is luscious, with firm tannins setting the stage for a long, smooth and very dry finish that makes you reach for more.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just an outstanding Bordeaux style blend that reaches its height in Washington's Columbia Valley.  This wine would be great just sipping on the patio, or perfect with steak, so tonight I am enjoying this one with a rare grilled prime Porterhouse from Allen Brothers Steaks, some cajun rosted potatoes and grilled asparagus and rainbow carrots.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment